Thursday, March 25, 2010

HillyH


HlllyH by The Mae Shi
February 2008
Track Listing:
  1. "Lamb and the Lion" - 2:24
  2. "PWND" - 2:48
  3. "Boys in the Attic" - 1:24
  4. "7 x x 7" - 2:02
  5. "The Melody" - 2:28
  6. "Leech and Locust" - 2:45
  7. "Run to Your Grave" - 3:53
  8. "Kingdom Come" - 11:37
  9. "I Get (Almost) Everything I Want" - 3:43
  10. "Party Politics" - 2:14
  11. "Young Marks" - 2:05
  12. "Book of Numbers" - 1:55
  13. "HLLLYH" - 4:56
  14. "Divine Harvest" - 2:14

This is one of those albums that my future soul mate needs to like. It's a sporadic, fast paced collection of songs that will take several times to get used to, but trust me, keep going with it. I hated this album when I first picked it up, I really did. This was long before I really started getting into any sort of experimental music, and I was confused by the lack of direction the songs had and the odd structures. Some of you might get the same feelings, and for that I will say: welcome to the winning team. Several of the songs jump quickly from clashing dissonant instrumental features to kickass vocal breakdowns ("PWND" and "Lamb and the Lion" specifically) and they always do an incredible job with the instrumentation. Seriously, I wish I could trade vocal chords with Ezra Buchla. It wouldgive me a reason to be way more awesome then I currently am at this point in time. Anyway the album is reminiscent of "Terrorbird", except a lot cleaner and a lot more logical (still not the biggest fan of that one actually). The fast paced electronic sampling mixed with the guitar work makes for some really catchy tunes, which are only perfected by the addicting choruses added in after ("I get (almost) everything I want" and "Run to your grave"). Like I said before - I've tried getting some of my friends to pick this one up, and none of my attempts have been successful. It's definitely an acquired taste...but it's one that you should work on acquiring as soon as possible. Seriously. It's frantic, hyper, chaotic, and one of fun as hell.






Yargh, trendy concert ahoy!






Now the bad news - The Mae Shi partially disbanded a few months ago. Grays and Cooper left to go form a new band called "circles". I haven't heard anything from them yet, but I'm going to be on the look out for something in the future. Hopefully it'll have some of the Mae Shi vibe that I will miss so very much. But in the mean time - check out the album! Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment