Thursday, July 8, 2010

180° SOUTH

I just finished watching 180° SOUTH.
It was like watching the part of me that is my hopes, dreams, and imagination separate from my body and than leave for six months to make this documentary. I mean this was it. This was the real. Watching this film brought me back to some of the best moments of my life. It was like I was standing on the edge of Bond Cliff or Mt. Zealand again, miles and miles away from the nearest road or other mark of civilization. It was like I was summitting Mt. Katahdin after four years of impatient waiting and anticipation.

Therein lies the problem. While I was remembering and reflecting upon this high points of my life, the people in 180° SOUTH were living them, day by day. They weren't just on a weekend section hike or on a quick two pitch climb. They were living with nothing but vague destinations and a concrete understanding of what makes life worth living.

I've teetered back and forth between the points of grasping and rejecting this concept. There have been days where I was more than ready to drop everything and go. Maybe I'd finally hike the AT, maybe I'd drive out to California. Who knows. People might say that these impulses are rash and irresponsible, but I argue that the only thing rash about it is that we have so many physical and temporary barriers that prevent us from doing it. We are used to lifestyles of comfort, of security, low risk living coupled with mediocre reward. I'll admit that I get pretty well settled into that as well... But everytime I hit the trail I get that itch again. I get that nagging at the back of my head that says "just go for it! What's stopping you? What is really stopping you?" Sooner or later I'm gonna start listening to that voice. Sure, sure, might as well get college out of the way first, but once that's done...

"The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even think to ask."
- Jeff Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment