Monday, November 22, 2010

Phase I complete

It's not quite the end of the first semester, but for all terms and purposes it might as well be, academics aside.

In short, I've accomplished just about everything I wanted to do. This semester was all about a second start, a chance to redirect where my college career is going and to get myself integrated into a new school. After spending the entirety of last year learning about what type of person I am, I spent this semester learning about what kind of person I am at Uconn. Things, as they say, are good. Eight months ago I made a list of all the clubs, activities, etc that I wanted to at uconn and it essentially consisted of UCMB, Pep band, SSDP, UCOC, Honors Program, and Uconn short films club. With the exception of Pep Band (find out about audition results next week), I'm pretty will involved with all of these, which is exactly where I wanted to be.

So where to from here? Next semester is all about moving outward. I'm still working out, still working to make new friends and make a name for myself here, but my "efforts" are going to start heading in a more outward direction. I want to spend more time working with community service organizations, more time developing leadership skills, pretty much just spending more time helping people in general. I'm incredibly fortunate for getting to have a second chance at uconn, and I can barely begin to express how happy I am here. It's time to start paying it forward - not to anyone or any group in particular, but to my community in general. One phase of college has ended (the start, you might say), and another beginning. Above all else I've learned that you should take every opportunity, make every connection, and always find a reason to try something new. Never make excuses to get out of something that you might enjoy, just because you are afraid that it might be different or that it's new. You never known how things will end up.

Heading home for the first time since August 15th - will be sure to write again. But for now, it's time for some Uconn basketball.

No comments:

Post a Comment