Friday, November 26, 2010

Snowboarding Season

Mt. Snow is open. Snowboarding season has begun.
I've been waiting for this. Anyone that knows me knows how much I love snowboarding season. In the eight years I've been riding I've never found anything as exhilarating and liberating as snowboarding. For those of you that don't ski or ride - you really should pick it up. For those that do - you know exactly what I'm talking about. Hitting that first run right off the lift after waiting three months is unlike anything else. Over the past year I've gotten to experience seeing Dave Matthews Band live, watch everyone rush the field after we beat West Virginia, and play in front of 109,000 people at the University of Michigan. Those were all awesome experiences, but nothing compares to being able to carve your own way down the mountain. When you're boarding you are completely free from everything. Free from worry, free from judgment, free from all concern. It's important to be aware of the world and it's happenings, but sometimes it's critical to let go of everything. Consider it "self work" if you must. Call it anything, but to me, it's something that keeps me grounded. When I ride I find my own way down the mountain. My line is unique, my turns our mine, and I'm free to move however I want. No one can hear me yelling to myself; my voice quickly dissipates in the winds that singe my face. No one can judge me; I ride faster than anyone who would waste their breath with unconstructive insults. The world is within my grasp. From the top I see more life than most people experience in a month, and that moment is indisputably mine. I love everything about life, and it's moments like those that give me reason to continue living optimistically. Moments where we feel as alive as we'll ever be. Moments where nothing can stop us. This is why I snowboard. It's an artform, an expression of life; my own personal zen. It's been too long, and I can't wait to get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment