Monday, December 6, 2010

What the BCS game means to me.

I've seen an awful lot of insult and generally rude comments flying since Uconn clinched the Big East and the BCS bid with the victory over USF Saturday night. First of all, I would tell those people to read this article (not that anyone reads this blog anyway, nevermind people who are jumping at the chance to talk trash about my university) http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-jacobs-uconn-south-florida-column-20101205,0,1224266.column?page=1&track=rss.
I think the last few sentences sum up what all of us here at Uconn have been thinking.

"
If UConn goes to the Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma as originally thought, that will bring the no-humidity mocking. There will be so much dry humor at the Huskies' expense. So have it, North and South, East and West. But hear this much: These Huskies and a state that has come to believe in them know the real story."

I understand that we have an 8-4 record. I understand that we aren't BCS ranked. Yeah, we had a few embarrassing losses in the beginning of the year, the loss of a starting string quarterback, and numerous other set backs. Apparently, that's all that matters for most people out there. Nobody seems mention how we fought our way through a one game season, winning five strait games that included some incredible victories against Pitt and West Virginia. Nobody seems to mention the unfathomable amount of work that Edsall and the players put into this season. It might not matter to other people, but it matters to everyone here at Uconn, and everyone that has ever supported the team.

Look at me. Two years ago I completely hated sports. Until I joined marching band I had no clue how football actually worked. Now I'm practically addicted. I'm sure a huge part of that comes from being in UCMB (yet another reason to join marching band!), but regardless - I now know what it's like to be emotionally invested in a game. All I've been reading is talk of how we are going to get utterly destroyed, and I'm almost laughing. We've played pretty damn well as underdogs before. No one can really how this game will turn out. All I now is that when it comes down to determination and drive, Uconn can't be beat.

On another note - reason #32 why you should join UCMB: Paid vacation (er.. I mean bowl trip) to Arizona for five days. Five star hotel with suites. Getting to attend the most significant Uconn football game in history, all without paying a cent. I couldn't be more excited. I won't have a voice for a week after I return, but it'll be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment